Pumpkin Pie Squares
I’m one of those obnoxious pumpkin lovers this time of year. I make homemade Pumpkin Spice Lattes, pumpkin oatmeal, smoothies, chia pudding, chili, soups and desserts! Not ashamed at all, which is why I’ve created these Pumpkin Pie Squares! The crust of shortbread like, with a pumpkin pie filling topped with lightly toasted walnuts, sweetened with maple syrup.
I was having serious lack of creativity yesterday, trying to rack my brain with how to create some sort of layered pumpkin square. I’m pretty happy with how these gluten-free, dairy-free and egg-free Pumpkin Pie Squares turned out.
I didn’t have eggs in the house and wanted to create a pumpkin pie filling without them. I decided to use some coconut butter and oil to help thicken the pumpkin, as it’s kept in the fridge. It’s sweetened with maple syrup, one of my favourite sweeteners.
These Pumpkin Pie Squares are perfect for thanksgiving and pretty simple to make. You can also easily double the batch if you’re cooking for a large group! Just be sure to store them in the fridge.
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 2/3 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, softened
- Pumpkin Pie Filling:
- 1 can (398mL) pumpkin
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 cup maple syrup, Canada No. 3
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1/4 cup and 1 tablespoon coconut butter
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit.
- Mix dry ingredients for the crust then add coconut oil and mix in until it reaches dough like consistency.
- Press into a parchment lined 8×8 or 9×9 baking pan and bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Once crust is in the oven mix canned pumpkin with spices, sea salt and maple syrup.
- Soften coconut oil and butter by placing both in an empty jar. Place the jar in small pot with 2 inches of water and turn heat on medium low.
- Once coconut oil and butter is softened add into pumpkin mixture, stirring until combined well.
- Spread Pumpkin mixture over cooled crust.
- Place topping ingredients into a small pot and turn heat on medium low. Stir until nuts become fragrant and lightly toasted.
- Sprinkle nuts on top of pumpkin and place in the fridge to set.
- Lift out of pan using corners of parchment paper and cut into squares.