Roasted Butternut Squash, Bacon and Sage Salad
In the summer I tend to have big salads of some sort for lunch. With the hot weather we’ve been having my body craves those crisp green salads. However during the colder months I crave warmer foods and swap my leafy greens for hot salads. Likewise when the weather get’s rainy and cool in the summer months I prefer something a bit warmer and comforting.
I came up with this recipe on the fly when Nelson and I were trying to think of something to bring to a family dinner. He had a huge butternut squash sitting on the kitchen table that needed to be cooked and bacon in the fridge.
I don’t think his fridge is ever without bacon. At least he’s gotten into buying better quality bacon that’s pastured and raised without the use of antibiotics. Pears and Sage sounded like a good addition and the recipe was born! I have to say I was pretty damn happy with how it turned out.
This recipe goes great as a side dish to a larger meal like Thanksgiving or Easter dinner or on its own. I particularly enjoy it as a hot breakfast with it’s sweet and salty flavour that I find both comforting and satisfying. We discovered the idea of doing a video with the recipe and had fun putting this together. Hope you enjoy it!
- 1 medium sized butternut squash
- 3 ripe pears, chopped
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup loosely packed fresh sage, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Himalayan rock salt and pepper to taste
- Ghee for cooking
- Pastured back bacon (about 300g)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit. Peel and chop butternut squash, removing seeds form the centre.
- Roast in ghee for 40-50 minutes, stirring halfway through until tender.
- Cook back bacon and let it drain on paper towel. Once cooled, chop into bite sized pieces.
- In a medium sized frying pan or skillet, sauté onion over medium heat in ghee until it becomes translucent. Add in garlic and pears, stirring to combine.
- Once pears start to caramelize add in the sage and cinnamon, stirring to combine and let cook another 5 minutes.
- Mix squash, bacon and pear mixture in a bowl and season with salt and pepper.