Gingerbread Latte (Coffee Free)
Gingerbread is such a delicious flavour that conjures up memories of gingerbread house decorating as a child. Props to my mom for actually baking all the pieces to a gingerbread house and then being patient enough to assemble it with royal icing! I opted for this Gingerbread Latte with all the goods instead!
If you know me, you know that I don’t drink coffee so this is obviously a coffee free latte. Instead I used Dandy Blend for a bit of a coffee flavour. I also added some Vital Proteins Beef Gelatin for a hit of protein and some gut healing benefits. As you likely know, gingerbread contains spices like ginger, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg but it also contains molasses. I used blackstrap molasses, which is rich in nutrients like iron, manganese, copper, calcium potassium, magnesium, vitamin B6 and selenium.
The coconut oil with the gelatin make this Gingerbread Latte extra creamy. There’s just something about a frothy hot beverage with depth and flavour on a cold winter day. This would be perfect to make ahead of time, place in a thermos and take with you on your winter activities. Bring it skating, tobogganing, snowshoeing or cross country skiing.
Blending these hot drinks up, works best in a magic bullet style of blender. I’ve blended them in my Vitamix and it always seems to explode a bit so I have to cover the top with a towel. If you have an immersion blender that would work well too. You could get crazy and make this a chocolate Gingerbread Latte by adding 1 tbsp of raw cacao or cocoa powder if you wanted.
I added my favourite adaptogen, maca but you can always skip it or use something else like ashwagandha. I would recommend skipping it if you are a pregnant or breastfeeding woman. I’ve also used stevia to sweeten to lessen the blood impact but you can definitely use maple syrup, coconut sugar or some raw honey instead.
- 1 tablespoon [url href=”http://www.dandyblend.com” target=”_blank”]Dandy Blend[/url]
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon blackstrap molasses
- 1/3 cup full fat coconut milk (canned)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 cup water
- Pinch of himalayan rock salt
- Stevia to taste
- 1 tablespoon [url href=”http://www.amazon.ca/Vital-Proteins-Collagen-Protein-Pasture-Raised/dp/B00K6JEON4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1450577288&sr=8-1&keywords=vital+proteins” target=”_blank”]Vital Proteins Gelatin[/url]
- 1 teaspoon gelatinized maca powder
- In a small pot mix Dandy Blend, spices and salt with coconut milk, molasses and stevia. Once combined well mix in water.
- Add coconut oil and place on stove over medium low heat.
- Once coconut oil is melted and mixture starts to steam remove from heat.
- Pour into blender and add gelatin. Blend until combined well and frothy.
- Pour into a mug and enjoy!