Chocolate Zucchini Cake Oatmeal
Chocolate Zucchini Cake used to be my all-time favourite! It’s sooo moist and chocolatey but usually loaded with sugar and processed ingredients. I used to eat oatmeal for breakfast everyday and went through a phase where I couldn’t get enough of it. I liked getting creative and making different variations from my favourite treats like carrot cake, apple crisp and this Chocolate Zucchini Cake variation.
Who said you couldn’t eat dessert for breakfast?! There’s no processed flour or white sugar in this though. I used all whole foods ingredients with a banana and some raw honey as the sweeteners.
You can make this recipe vegan by substituting the honey for maple syrup or raw agave, if you want. I don’t label my diet anymore. I used to be vegetarian, then vegan and then paleo. With my history of anorexia and disordered eating, it works best for me not to impose any restrictions on my diet but just focus on whole foods. That being said, I respect others decisions to eat vegan or paleo, it just doesn’t work for me.
My Integrative MD actually introduced me to paleo and recommended I eat that way. I did and became a little religious and righteous about that way of eating. It worked wonderfully for balancing my blood sugar and getting rid of cravings. The other thing eating paleo was good for is that it taught me not to be afraid of fat, including good quality animal fats. The downside is I developed a fear of carbohydrates and grains.
In fact, eating too low carb while doing Crossfit 5 days a week ended with me being deeper into Adrenal Dysfunction and having an underactive thyroid. Generally people do eat too many processed carbohydrates, but whole foods carbohydrates are not something to fear, especially when you’re active. For some people grains can pose a legitimate issue with gut health but I’ve found I feel fine when I added them back in.
This Chocolate Zucchini Cake Oatmeal is a great way to sneak some veggies into your breakfast too! The combination of chocolate, chewy oats, toasted nutty almonds and creamy almond butter is to die for!
- 1/2 cup steel cut oats ( I used gluten free)
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 cup zucchini, shredded
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 1 cup water or almond milk
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 2-3 tablespoons almond slices, toasted
- 2-3 tablespoons chunky almond butter
- Soak oats in water and 1 teaspoon of raw apple cider vinegar overnight. I put mine in a mason jar and leave it on the counter overnight.
- When ready to cook, rinse the oats and place in a small pot on the stove with remaining ingredients except the raw honey.
- Stir well to mix and cook over medium heat.
- Once the zucchini cooks, it will release more liquid so don’t worry if it appears too thick at first.
- While the oatmeal cooks, lightly toast the almonds on low-medium heat in a small pan or pot. Watch carefully as they can burn quickly and once toasted set aside.
- Once it’s cooked down a bit, whip the banana in so it emulsifies in and no chunks remain.
- Once it’s cooked, stir in the raw honey and transfer into two bowls. Drizzle with almond butter and sprinkle with toasted almonds.