Sweet Potato Egg Bake
Learning how to cook good, real, whole foods helped me branch out, away from my self imposed restrictions. I realized how good nourishing food could actually be and let go of my low fat, sugar free, low calorie food like products. This Sweet Potato Egg Bake is one of those pretty simple, yet delicious meals that nourishes me on more just than just a physical level.
My favourite thing to do is go pick up fresh food from the farmers market and then cook up delicious meals. The truth is I haven’t made it to the farmers market yet this summer! Sad, I know! You can actually find great deals at the farmers market, but I often have to only go with a set amount of cash or I’d spend hundreds. Yep, the majority of the extra in my budget goes to food. 😉
I started by following recipes in cookbooks and food blogs and it really helped me learn how to cook whole foods. I found myself shifting towards focusing more on nutrition and taste, as I experimented with all sorts of recipes. I had been eating bland, low fat, low flavour food, which always led to emotional eating because I wasn’t satisfied.
The other thing I realized is that cooking good food doesn’t have to be this long, elaborate and confusing process. It can be really easy like this Sweet Potato Egg Bake! Once you master the skill of cooking whole foods, you can easily and quickly whip up nourishing meals.
One investment I would make is to get a food processor. Food processors can speed up the process of chopping veggies and it’s what I used to shred the sweet potato in this recipe. Shredded potatoes cook a lot quicker, so when I’m in a rush but need some good starchy carbs with my meal out comes the food processor.
Fresh herbs also take a dish from great to wow in my opinion! I love fresh herbs but am far from a master at using them. For this Sweet Potato Egg Bake I added fresh rosemary and dill and it definitely took the flavour up a notch.
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 small sweet potatoes, shredded
- 1/2 tsp himalayan rock salt
- 1 bunch lacinato kale, steamed
- 4 eggs
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 heaping tbsp dill, chopped
- 1 tbsp rosemary, chopped
- Gouda cheese, shredded (I used [url href=”http://www.jerseylandorganics.ca/index.htm” target=”_blank”]Jerseyland Organics[/url] grass-fed and it was amazing)
- Shred sweet potato in a food processor and add to a cast iron skillet over medium heat with onion and garlic and about 1 tbsp cooking fat (coconut oil, avocado oil, lard).
- Cover with lid and cook until softened.
- Layer tomato slices on top of sweet potato in skillet.
- Crack eggs on top of tomatoes and sprinkle with dill and rosemary as well as salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle with grate gouda cheese and place in the oven for 15 minutes. Finish by broiling for 4 minutes on low.
- While sweet potato and egg bakes place kale in a steamer and cook until lightly steamed.
- Serve sweet potato and egg bake on top of steamed kale.