Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwiches
Impress your guests with these decadent and delicious Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwiches. They’re the perfect treat for a hot summer day, when the last thing you want to do is turn your oven on. The cookies for these ice cream sandwiches are raw, making them quick and easy to make.
I kept it simple for the raw cookies and used cashews, dates, coconut, cinnamon and sea salt. The ice cream is made from frozen bananas, raw cacao powder, vanilla extract and full fat coconut milk, making these bad boys dairy-free too. Bananas make a great thick ice cream that’s easy to spread, so its pretty easy to make these ice cream sandwiches look good!
In fact they turned out looking much better than I had envisioned because of how thick the banana ice cream is. I had been slightly worried about dealing with a sloppy mess, while trying to get some good pictures, but that wasn’t the case at all! You do need to get them back in the freezer quickly though, because they ice cream will melt!
I melted some dark chocolate chips in a double boiler with coconut oil to drizzle over top. If you wanted to make these completely raw, you could make your own chocolate using coconut oil, raw cacao powder and raw honey or agave syrup.
To make the raw cookies evenly shaped, I rolled the dough into 8 even sized balls. Wetting your hands during this step will help prevent the cookies form sticking to your hands. I then used the lid of a mason jar, both the ring and flat round top part, to flatten the balls. Once I had pressed the lid down so that the ring was touching the parchment paper, I pressed the flat inner round part, inside the ring, to spread the dough out to the size of the ring. I then removed the ring and pulled the flat round part off the cookie, revealing a perfectly round raw cookie.
I had to use a knife to unstick the cookie off the lid. I tried wetting it with water and using coconut oil, but the cookies still stuck. That’s okay, though! Just lift the edges of the cookie up and then carefully slide a knife between the cookie and lid to release the cookie.
- Raw Cookies
- 1 c raw cashews
- 7 dates
- 1/3 c shredded coconut
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Chocolate Ice Cream
- 2 large bananas, frozen
- 2 tbsps raw cacao powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsps full fat coconut milk, canned
- Chocolate Drizzle
- 1/4 c dark chocolate chips
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Place cookie ingredients in a food processor and turn on high until it resembles crumbs and sticks together when pressed.
- Wet hands with water to prevent dough from sticking and roll into 8 even sized balls. Place on parchment lined baking sheet.
- Flatten each cookie using a mason jar lid. Press lid down until ring touches parchment, then press top flat round piece into ring to flatten cookie evenly. You may need to use a knife to unstick cookie from, lid after removing ring.
- Place baking sheet with cookies in the freezer, while you make ice cream.
- Place frozen bananas, raw cacao powder, vanilla and coconut milk in food processor. Puree until smooth.
- Remove cookies from freezer and spread banana ice cream, evenly on 4 cookies. Top with the other 4 cookies and place back in the freezer.
- Melt chocolate chips in double boiler with coconut oil. I just place a glass bowl over a pot of water, so the bottom of the bowl is touching the surface of the water.
- Once melted and combined, take the ice cream sandwiches back out of the freezer and drizzle them with melted chocolate. Place back in the freezer for at least 30 minutes before eating.