Chocolate Maca Cashew Butter
I’m a big fan of making my own nut butters and when I look at the price of a jar of raw organic almond butter, I just can’t do it! At $20 bucks a pop, I’d rather make my own. Cashews are more inexpensive than almonds and I love they’re natural sweetness. I decided to get a little fancy and create a Chocolate spin on my Cashew Butter with this Chocolate Maca Cashew Butter.
If you don’t have a food processor yet, then you need to get one just so you can make this recipe! It’ so good! I added a bit of raw Manuka honey for its medicinal benefits, but maple syrup would also work really well in this recipe. You can also increase the amount if you want this a bit sweeter. I personally like the deep, rich flavour of raw cacao and this reminds me of a 80% cacao chocolate bar.
Manuka honey is higher is nutrients than regular raw honey and actually comes from New Zealand. Manuka honey is antibacterial and graded depending on its potency. You will need to look for what’s called it’s Unique Manuka Factor or UMF and the higher the number the more potent. To learn more about this read Dr. Axe’s post here on Manuka honey. The Manuka honey I used in this recipe 16+, which means it has superior antibacterial levels and is highly therapeutic, so much so you shouldn’t exceed taking 1 tbsp at a time.
I’ve talked about Maca before because I use it all the time and love the stuff! It’s a peruvian adaptogenic herb that supports the hormones and can boost libido. Adaptogenic means that it helps the body deal with stress, so whether you have low or high cortisol it will help bring it back into balance with regular use. It actually supports the Hypothalamus and Pituitary which talk to the adrenal glands when stress is present in the body. Maca pairs really well with raw cacao too!
- 2 cups raw organic cashews
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan rock salt
- 1 tablespoon [url href=”http://www.amazon.ca/Organika-Organic-Maca-Powder-400g/dp/B00FIIHMUU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1453651318&sr=8-1&keywords=organic+maca+powder” target=”_blank”]Maca[/url]
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon raw Manuka honey
- Place cashews in food processor and turn on high until they begin to make a butter.
- Add coconut oil and turn back on high, which will make the cashew butter creamy.
- Add the remaining ingredients and turn back on high until combined well.
- Pour into a jar and store in the fridge.