Cherry Nice Cream With Chocolate
When I discovered you could use frozen banana’s to create an ice cream like desert, commonly known as “nice cream,” I started keeping my freezer stocked with frozen bananas. It’s an easy and quick way to make a healthy, frozen, sweet treat when you’re all out of ice cream. Of course there are so many variations as well like this Cherry Nice Cream With Chocolate.
This didn’t turn out quite how I’d envisioned but it was still really tasty! Of course it’s one of my favourite flavour combos with cherries and chocolate. I added frozen cherries to the frozen bananas with a bit of almond milk to make the cherry nice cream.
For the chocolate swirls I used soaked medjool dates and blended them with raw cacao powder, maple syrup and sea salt. Plus I added some lightly toasted pecans for crunch and their nice nutty flavour. I don’t buy pecans often because they’re darn expensive, but for these you don’t need much!
I love sweet things and not restricting by eating things like this nourishing recipe stops me from being in that black or white thinking. For me when I eat moderately and focus on how I feel and how satisfying my meals are I no longer feel restricted. This prevents me from binge or emotional eating.
For people that struggle with problematic eating it’s important to let go of perfectionism. Perfect doesn’t exist and trying to achieve it just sets us up for failure. You might need to start with going out for treats so that you don’t have excess in the house that can trigger a binge. Overtime when you work on the mindset piece you will be able to keep foods in the house and not binge on them.
- 2 banana’s, frozen
- 1 cup cherries, frozen
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 4 medjool dates, soaked
- 1 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 1 tbsp maple syrup, Canada No. 3
- Pinch sea salt
- 2 tbsp chopped pecans, lightly toasted
- Toast pecans in small pot or pan over medium-low heat but be careful not to burn.
- Combine the soaked dates, cacao powder, maple syrup and sea salt in a mini chopper or small food processor and puree until smooth.
- To make Cherry Nice Cream add frozen banana’s and cherries with almond milk to food processor and puree until smooth.
- Layer the Cherry Nice Cream in glasses with spoonfuls of the chocolate mixture and the toasted pecans.