Blackened Salmon Collard Wraps
Blackened Salmon is probably my favourite way to eat salmon and I don’t make it often enough. I’ve seen recipes using collard greens as wraps and have always wanted to try using them too. When I saw the large bunches of collard greens at the store this weekend, I knew I had to finally use them to make wraps. I was craving salmon, so decided to make Blackened Salmon Collard Wraps with a spicy Cashew Ginger Sauce.
This recipe is quick and only requires that you turn the stove on long enough to cook the salmon, which was about 10 minutes. Its perfect for a hot summer night! Seriously, look at that blackened salmon! It was sooo delicious and went well with the cashew ginger sauce.
This wrap is loaded with flavour! I used a mix of different spices and herbs to make the rub for the salmon and it turned out tasty, if you ask me. The Cashew Ginger Sauce has some kick to it, as I added chili flakes!
This Blackened Salmon Collard Wrap is loaded with nutrients too, from all the phytonutrients in the colourful vegetables to the essential fatty acids in the salmon. Your liver loves cilantro, ginger, greens, beets, turmeric and the amino acids from the salmon. Why do a restrictive juice cleanse when you can eat foods like this everyday!? Eating healthy doesn’t have to be restrictive to your tastebuds or leave you feeling famished.
To make the collard wraps, I layered shredded carrots and beets with cilantro, blackened salmon and the cashew ginger sauce. I cut the stems off of the collard greens and then shaved part of the remaining stem down, so it would roll easier. I folded the ends over then tucked one side in and rolled it up! Cut in half and there you go!
These Blackened Salmon Collard Wraps would pack well for lunch too! No need to worry about the wrap getting soggy. I will definitely be using collard greens to make wraps more often.
- 2-4 collard greens
- 1 cup beets, shredded
- 1 cup carrots, shredded
- 1 bunch cilantro
- Blackened Salmon
- 1 large fillet wild salmon (enough to serve 2)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoon himalayan rock salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Cashew Ginger Sauce
- 1/4 cup cashew butter
- 1 tablespoon ginger, diced
- 1 tablespoon Ume plum vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon chill flakes
- A few drops stevia
- 2 tablespoon water
- Shred carrots and then beets in a food processor. Set aside in separate bowls.
- Wash collard greens then trim off stems. Shave remainder of stem down to thin it and make it easier to roll. Set aside.
- Make Cashew Ginger Sauce by adding cashew butter, ginger, Ume plum vinegar, chill flakes, stevia and water to a small food processor or mini chopper. Once combined and smooth set aside in a separate bowl.
- To make blackened salmon, mix spices and herbs together and pour onto a plate. Press salmon down into spice mixture skin side up. Flip over and press remainder spice onto any spots that are missing spice.
- Place salmon spice side down and skin side up into a heated cast iron skillet on medium heat. Cook for 10 minutes without moving. Once done flip onto a plate.
- To assemble the collard wraps you can either layer two or just use one. Place about 1/3-1/2 cup of shredded beets and carrot on the centre of each collard. Top with pieces of blackened salmon and cilantro. Drizzle Cashew Ginger Sauce on top.
- To roll up fold the sides over. Take one end and tuck in, then roll. Cut in half and serve.