Purple Potato & Kale Salad with Dill Vinaigrette
When I first received purple potatoes in my order from SPUD, which is an organic and local grocery delivery service, I couldn’t wait to cook them. I was pleasantly surprised to see that when I cut them in half, the inside of the potato was still a vibrant purple colour. I knew I wanted to make a potato salad with them so I created this Purple Potato & Kale Salad with Dill Vinaigrette.
The thing I love about potato salad is that cooked and cooled potatoes are a great source of resistant starch. You may have heard of prebiotics, which are just as important as probiotics because they feed our healthy gut bacteria. Resistant starch is a type of prebiotic that can help increase insulin sensitivity and has many other benefits that you can read about on Chris Kresser’s blog. One of my favourite things about resistant starch is that it doesn’t digest as quickly and therefore doesn’t spike blood sugar like other starches, which is how it can help increase insulin sensitivity.
Foods that contain resistant starch in varying amounts include legumes, green banana’s and plantains, cooked & cooled potatoes and whole grains. According to Precision Nutrition, resistant starch also produces short chain fatty acids in our large intestine, which have many health benefits including helping us absorb minerals.
I loved the vibrant colours of this purple and green salad! I used raw kale in this recipe but if you struggle with digesting raw kale you can lightly steam it and it will still taste great. I found the flavours tasted better the next day as the dill really came through.
- 5 medium potatoes
- 1 head of Kale
- 1 tsp EVOO
- Dill Vinaigrette
- 2 tbsp fresh dill
- 2 tbsp EVOO
- Juice of 1/2 lemon (approx. 2 tbsp)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt and pepper to taste
- Dice potatoes and steam until cooked through and tender. I left the peel on but you can peel the potatoes first if you prefer. Let cool before mixing with remaining ingredients.
- Chop kale into small bite sized pieces. Massage 1 tsp of EVOO into the kale to soften and help break down.
- To make the dill vinaigrette mix all ingredients in a small jar and shake until combined well.
- Mix the purple potatoes and kale together then pour vinaigrette on top and mix to combine.